In this review I look at Free League’s Things from the Flood (distributed by Modiphius).Continue reading RDD Review: Things From the Flood
In this RPG Review I look at the five books in the B/X Essentials core line:
- Core Rules
- Class and Equipment
- Cleric & Magic-user Spells
- Adventures & Treasures
The books are written by Gavin Norman of Necrotic Gnome and are available on Drivethru RPG as both PDF and print on demand versions.
Shinigami by XTaKeRuX:
Used under creative commons licence:
I’m pleased to announce that a few days ago our YouTube channel passed the 2000 subscriber mark, I’m pleased that people find the videos I put out entertaining and/or useful enough to subscribe and stick with our channel and blog. To mark the occasion I filmed a combination intro/thank you video for the channel. Continue reading 2000 YouTube Subscribers
The British Pathé youtube channel collects archived footage about particular topics from the days when news reels used to be shown in cinemas, some very interesting stuff and also shows the biases and thoughts of the time when the reels were made, could be very useful to GMs running period games:
I’ve recently read some very insightful posts on the various online roleplaying communities that I am a member of, some of these have made me give thought to how good a job my own channel and this website do with communicating my aims to the audience, and what those aims actually.
So I sat down and thought about what the aim of this site and my Youtube channel is and I came up with the following:
To provide tips and advice for roleplayings, broadcast games showing that advice in action and highlight games that offer innovative mechanics or assistance to the GM.
Going forward I am going to make that phrase my mission statement and feature very little on my channel and this site that does not somehow help with that; luckily I seem to have been thinking about this on a subconscious level for a while, so a lot of my older stuff actually does this already.
There are also a couple of other things I like to do in the future:
- Stick to a more regular schedule of releasing videos, at the moment I’m thinking Saturday each week.
- Film a more vloggy un-edited video each Monday talking about RP stuff I’ve done during the week.
- More clearly divide the various different shows (GM Tips, RPG Bugbears, etc) that I do.
- Attempt to edit some of my actual plays to remove dead-air, shorten the videos and make them more watchable so that people can see the mechanics and running of a game in action without having to wade through so much footage.
* RPG BUGBEARS – Excessive searching and obsession with detail.
* GM tips – Make sure your players understand the goal/aim of your game.
* GM tips – accents & vocal mannerisms
* Player tips – collaboration & selling
* RPG Questions – Importance of maps
* GM tips – The entirely improvised session
* RPG Bugbears – Lengthy scenery descriptions.
* RP based around equipment.
* Published metaplot vs sandbox
* Soundtracks in RPGs
* Getting new players involved in RPGs
* Balance of Prep
* Selling for other people
* “what people want” – make sure NPCs have motivations
* When to cut your losses with a rules system
* Player Tips – Creating compelling characters
* GM tips – Describing a scene
* Player Tips – Be cooperative
* Player Tips – The pluses and minuses of social characters
* Combats that take too long, chewing up entire sessions
* G+ hangout sessions – when to cut your losses
I’m pleased to announce that my Red Dice Diaries Youtube Channel has now reached 1000 subscribers (it actually reached it last night, as of time of writing i’m slightly over); I do intend to record a proper thank you video incorporating some suggestions from members of the RPG Brigade (previously the Youtube RPG Brigade, the community that first encouraged me to create a channel), highlighting some of my favourite moments from RDD, talking about what I think i’ve learnt creating the channel and giving you a glimpse of what exciting stuff we have forthcoming for the channel (the expansion of this website being one of them).
Until i’ve got time to sit down and record the video I just wanted to put this post here to thank everyone who encouraged me to setup the channel, people i’ve gamed with online and everyone who has been supportive or offered constructive criticism as we’ve gone along (special props to Tim Harper who gave me some great advise about content when starting out and, along with several others, provided a great deal of encouragement and support) – I hope you’ve enjoyed the Red Dice Diaries ride so far, the future is looking bright with more to come in 2015/16.
Happy gaming to you all – wherever you are in the world 🙂