In this video tutorial–requested by Caius Wallen–I show how you can use Xsplit to create a Discord/Roll20 screen for recording or streaming TT RPG sessions online. This tutorial assumes you have basic knowledge of Discord, Xsplit and Roll20.
In order you use this tutorial you will need a Discord account, a copy of Xsplit (the free one is fine) and a Roll20 account with a game already set up.
The URL for the Discord Streamkit is: https://streamkit.discordapp.com/overlay
As you may know I’m preparing to run a pirate-style fantasy game using a version of the Fate rules that I have compiled, taking inspiration from several different sources. I’ve also been experimenting with the free version of Xsplit in an attempt to make the game more visual for those watching it and as a helpful aid to my players, I’m pretty happy with the layout I’ve now got and have uploaded a small video test of it (you can see this by clicking on the video link below).
Features I intend to use via Xsplit for this game:
- Changeable backdrop images.
- Gold coins as fate tokens that can be moved.
- Screen capture of the players with their fate points below them and their characters name and aspects above them.
- Overlay-able map of the New World.
- I also have a second screen set up that can function as a whiteboard.