This section refers heavily to the excellent Jadepunk game, no challenge is intended to any copyrights and I have attempted to omit any rules specifically featured in the book – you will probably need a copy of Jadepunk to make use of this, but I would advise you to pick up a copy anyway as it is an excellent book.
ASSETS IN JADE-XALTED HACK
Step One: Asset Type
Ally: Helpful NPC assocate, sidekick, contact or secret society.
Device: A weapon, tool, or other piece of equipment including items made from the magical materials.
Technique: Personal capabilities either gained from special training, knowledge or as a result of the exaltation.
Step Two: Function/Guiding Aspect
Allies and Devices come with an aspect describing it’s function as per the rules in Jadepunk, it can be invoked or compelled as with any other aspect, but it tends to be more focussed on the role that the ally or device plays in the character’s life.
Technique assets don’t have function aspects, they are connected to one of the characters existed aspects (called it’s ‘guiding aspect’) as detailed in the Jadepunk rules.
Step Three: Features & Flaws
These function as per the rules in Jadepunk, each point of refresh you spent on an asset gives it two features, each asset also comes with one flaw. More flaws may be taken to give an asset additional features on a one-to-one basis.
Full rules for this can be found in the Jadepunk book however there are a few additional list of features and flaws differ, they can be found below.
When you spend a point of refresh to create an Ally, in addition to any other features, they start with one application of Professional, Resilient and Sturdy for free.
The function aspect of a device featuring one or more of the magical materials must make reference to each material.
- Jade construction
- Moonsilver construction
- Orichalcum construction
- Starmetal construction
- Soulsteel construction
No technique can have the troubling flaw.
Step Four: Determine Refresh cost
Determine asset cost as listed in the Jadepunk book.
As listed in the Jadepunk rulebook (with the following additions):
- Jade construction: See magical materials section for details.
- Moonsilver construction: See magical materials section for details.
- Orichalcum construction: See magical materials section for details.
- Sorcery (counts as two features, asset starts with consuming feature, many only be applied to a technique): Allows a technique to be perform over distance as long as the character possesses something taken from the location or something of significance to the person that they wish to affect; if the target is within the same zone then the technique can be performed at range without the requirement of the component.
- Soulsteel construction: See magical materials section for details.
- Starmetal construction: See magical materials section for details.
As listed in the Jadepunk rulebook.
Gaining and Improving Assets
Functions as per the Jadepunk rulebook.
The Magical Materials
The five magical materials below are easily enchanted by those with the right knowledge and each one resonates with a different type of Exalted.
Please note: In order to have an item made of a magical material (or several) a feature must be taken (it must be taken once for each magical material involved in the item construction).
- Orichalcum: Gold purified by the Sun, Orichalcum is noted for making equipment which is good at everything. Orichalcum artifacts are used by Solar Exalted.
- Moonsilver: Moonsilver is silver touched by Luna, and lends some of Luna’s protean nature to the material. Moonsilver is considered sacred by Lunar Exalted.
- Starmetal: Rarer than all other materials, because the Sidereal Exalted must predict where this congealed essence of dead Gods will fall. Starmetal shines with the nature of the Five Maidens and warps fate slightly as part of its basic nature.
- Jade: Commonest of all the Magical Materials, and used to make the weapons and armor of the Terrestrial Exalted. Jade comes in five colors, one for each Aspect.
- Soulsteel: Comprised of the bodies of ghosts and scrapings from the Mouth of the Void in Stygia, soulsteel mutters and moans with the pain of the spirits trapped within. This horrifying black material is the trademark of the Abyssal Exalted.
An item made from one of the magical materials will function especially well in the hands of the type of Exalted that it was intended for (adding an additional +1 to any rolls made using the device, if a device does not use a roll but increases or reduces shift values then it increases/reduces it by an additional +1). This bonus only becomes active when the device is in the possession of the appropriate type of exalted.
In addition, the correct type of exalted may (at will activate the following effect):
- Orichalcum: Device sheds light, bestowing a ‘light of the Unconquered Sun’ aspect on the wielder.
- Moonsilver: Gives the owner the ‘master of disguise’ aspect.
- Starmetal: Bestows the aspect ‘touched by fate’ on the owner.
- Jade: Bestows the aspect ‘blessed by the elements’ as appropriate on the owner.
- Soulsteel: Device sheds darkness, bestowing a ‘shrouded in darkness’ aspect on the owner.
- Aspects gained from carrying items of the appropriate magical material can be turned on and off at will as long as the exalt still possesses an item of the appropriate material.
Tags: ally, assets, device, Exalted, features, flaws, jade, Jade Punk., Jade-xalted, moonsilver, orichalcum, soulsteel, starmetal, technique