In this episode of the podcast I talk about the curios phenomenon of LARP and RP friends:Continue reading
In this episode of my Anchor podcast I answer some voicemails and chat a bit about the LARP event I’m going to this weekend:Continue reading
There was a lot of cool and funny (sometimes both) stuff said at the GEF, i’m going to note some of them – there’s probably far more than I can remember (i’ll try not to lose my notepad in the first five minutes of the event next time) but here are the ones I can:
“Do you want some of this Rimmel 60 second red nail polish, I don’t know how good it is?”
“Same make as my black nail polish, pretty good.”
– Azzan and Larego during the morning fey glamour preparations
– Redcaps even have to get a mention of food into a traditional Jackals greeting
“How have you been dealing with the effect on your glamour?”
“It’s very annoying there is less blood on my face than normal and none of it is coming from my hat.”
– Even redcaps were affected by Dolorous’ manipulation of Haven’s link to Arcadia
“Unless I can eat those women i’m not interested.”
“Do you want to re-phrase that?”
– redcap response to a highly suspect party of suggestive young women arriving at our faction gate
“I think I better go and investigate those women at the gate.”
“Someone’s getting robbed then.”
– another response to the party of suspect women/muggers
“We’re 3 gold up – we’re in profit.”
“Dude, someone got executed.”
– discussing an evening altercation
“Dredd is an excellent bard, i’ve seen him sing songs that made a dwarf weep.”
– a true statement
“I’m sorry Lord Oberron, Edreja was speaking to me.”
“Tell Edreja to go away.”
– Lord Oberron, High King of the Unseelie discusses communication with one of his kin
“Do you have much experience in the Everwood?”
“It’s where I live.”
– discussing a trip to the Everwood in order to speak with Lord Cleaver
“We need claw beasts.”
* several people raise hands *
“Okay, you’re demonic high mages.”
* puzzled looks and waving of claws *
“They’re natural claws, you can cast in them.”
* several smiles and high-fives *
– monster statting
“There someone behind us… one’s got behind us!”
* whack whack whack whack *
– Ash, born to be a claw-beast
“I’m only here as a slow moving distraction for Ash.”
– Me, decidely not born to be a claw-beast but enjoying it none the less
“You are the most beautiful and unique creatures of this world, you are all perfect in your difference, you are dreams, you are what the other races of this world ache and long to be. I hate you all, and I love you all.”
– High King of the Unseelie, Lord Oberron addresses his subjects
“What was the name of the person you’re looking for?”
“I don’t mean to sound rascist but all you non-fey sort of look alike to me.”
– Redcap communication challenges
“Some things are better written down than said aloud”
– Inky bringing Larego up to speed on what he has discovered about Redcap history.
“Yes, Lord Cleaver is most… impressive.”
– Maximillian, envoy from the Unicorn Fey Courts of the Everwood
“It’s clear that we are not what we once were.”
“Like any hunter we have adapted to be more effective in a changing environment, we have changed and have taken on the ways of others to more effectively camouflage ourselves so that we might move among our prey unseen and hunt where we will. That is what I believe.”
– Larego and other redcaps discuss redcaps past & present
“I know that i’m unseelie but you’d better believe i’m swearing my fealty to that big bald b*stard over there”
– Swearing fealty to the newly chosen fey princes
It’s traditional after doing a LARP event to post highs and low points of the event, normally these are posted on Facebook but I thought ‘hey, since i’ve got this new kiss-ass website why not put them on there instead?’
I couldn’t come up with any good reason why not so here we go; as always i’ll start with the lows so that I can end on a high note.
- Despite feeling more awake and energetic due to the controlled lowering of my epilepsy medications a combination of the hot weather and tiredness still left me flagging by the end of the day.
- There never seems to be enough time to get around to doing everything that you want to do.
- There was a lot of waiting around in the monster room whenever we went down to monster.
- Watching someone spit their dummy because they shouted out a weapons call and the monster (surrounded by about five people hitting him with weapons) obviously didn’t hear them; by the time I tapped the monster on the should and said ‘You’ve been halted’ the person had stormed off.
- At one point trying to get back to our faction camp and failing five times because each time I got called away by something, thankfully Alex bought me a sandwich so I actually managed to eat something.
- Escaping with Excalibur as a demon high mage.
- The pig men outside the Tesseract and watching as a combination of redcaps and beastkin leapt on them screaming about bacon – go Team NomNom 🙂
- Really enjoying the Unicorns as a faction, great friendly bunch.
- Enjoying being a diplomat, a different game and very interesting.
- Being told more about redcap history.
- Lord Oberron’s arrival and the scene surrounding the swearing in of the two new fey princes.
- Lots of entertaining and different monster roles.
- The refs making good use of limited monsters in the final fight and trusting the monster crew not to take the p*ss with the abilities we were given.
Overall i’m very much looking forward to the next event, planning on stocking up on coffee/energy drinks in an attempt to keep me going throughout.
Well i’m sure you’ll have noticed that all’s been quiet on the Red Dice blogging front for the past few days; that’s because i’ve been indulging in the other aspect of the roleplaying hobby that I enjoy, namely LARP. For those of you who may not be aware of LARP (or LRP as it’s sometime’s called), it stands for Live Action Role-Play and is basically a group of people who act out or physical represent the action of a roleplay game (to some degree or other depending on the system). Now I first remember hearing about LARP when I was reading the second edition Vampire the Masquerade rulebook; it talked about the possibility of acting out some more conversational scenes but didn’t really include any rules or much in the way of suggestions how to do that so I didn’t really think much of it.
The next exposure I had to LARP was when I was mooching around my FLGS Spirit Games and heard someone discussing a Minds Eye Theatre Vampire game that was going at the nearby station hotel; being really into the Masquerade at the time I went along and for the duration of that game I enjoyed playing various vampires, first in a Sabbat game run by a good friend of mine and then later in other various games. Mind’s Eye Theatre is a game where you act out what your character is doing but whenever combat or anything occurs there is a system (normally based on rock-paper-scissors) that takes over; this is a bit of a compromise and puts MET halfway between tabletop and LARP to my mind, the advantage being you can run it in much smaller surroundings and more cheaply without having to worry about insurance or anything (since it’s none contact) but on the other side games (especially combat heavy games) can get really bogged down and it can take ages to resolve a large combat.
That’s not to say that MET cannot be enjoyable, I still play in a Werewolf: the Apocalypse game that I very much enjoy and have run a Hunter: the Reckoning game in the past where I tried to bridge the gap between contact LARP and MET, I don’t think the experiment was without it’s flaws but the people who played in the game seemed to enjoy it.
I play in a couple of contact LARP systems, the Outcast system (which I help crew and very much enjoy) and the Lorien Trust system (where I play a type of fey known as a redcap); these systems actually have a contact based combat system where foam latex weapons with solid cores are used. The Lorien Trust runs four main events in the UK, two in May and two in August, i’ve just got back from the second May event, known as the Great Edrejan Fayre (previously the Heartland Games); the premise for the event is basically a fantasy world version of the olympics where the various nations of the fictional world gather together and compete in different games. I’m not really into the games themselves TBH personally, although I certainly don’t begrudge the people who enjoy them, so the GEF is normally a fairly quiet event for me, sort of a “rest event.”
This event got off to a fairly slow start but on the second day everything to get much busier; I few of the highlights for me were:
- Oberron king of the Fey visiting the mortal plane.
- Getting to do some more diplomacy (my character being a diplomat for our faction).
- Swearing fealty to Arcadia and the two newly elected fey princes (one seelie, one unseelie).
- Accompanying a group back to my IC home the Everwood to locate a mute fey’s missing memories.
- Having another player redcap fill me in on what he has found out about our races history and being able to potentially help out with that.
This brings me to one of the fundamental conflicts I have when it comes to contact LARP systems, by nature i’m not a particularly physically active person and to a great extent contact LARPs rely on your OOC abilities (for example: i’m not a fast runner so i’m never going to play some incredibly athletic character); given that I don’t have enough money to do LARP and other holidays, live-action events double as my holidays so I at least want to relax a little bit. I do normally come away from events feeling like I enjoyed it but that I could have done more during the event if only i’d been a bit more awake or more motivated.
That said, i’m working on motivating myself more and had an excellent time at the GEF, i’m part of a group of beastkin, urucks and fey called Squad D, and I always enjoy hanging around with my friends, also really enjoying my redcap character; hoping to start delving a bit more into the racial background of the fey as time goes forward.
I also tend to die a lot at LARPs and so i’ve always got half an eye to my next character, currently I have two in the pipeline, a dwarf and a dark-elf but i’m hoping to survive for a while as my current character since i’m really enjoying that at the moment.
Perhaps I just need to take more energy drinks to LARP? 😉