Streets with Number: First Draft Rules
Here are my first draft rules for Streets with Numbers, my kludged Faction Rules for my OSR Midderlands, Greater Lunden game (although I’ll probably work for other games). Please give them a go, play around with them and let me know what you think.
– Influence: A measure both of the Faction’s size and control over their surroundings.
– Might: A measure of the Faction’s ability to cause change through use of physical force.
– Cunning: A representative of the Faction’s ability to monitor and block others actions through subterfuge.
– Resources: An abstract representation of how wealthy a Faction is, each resource point represents approx. 5000 gold pieces.
– Goal: A summary of the Faction’s main aim at present.
– Assets: Distinct assets possessed by the Faction, they grant particular bonuses or abilities, based on their nature.
The Faction Turn
At regular intervals the GM carries out a Faction turn.
This is a mini-game that the GM runs between sessions (we recommend a Faction Turn every 4 sessions or so, but this may vary if you have downtime periods).
When the Faction Turn is completed the GM should drop hints/news into their sessions about what is occurring in the wider arena of their game world.
Each Downtime Turn a Faction may perform 1 action per 5 points of Influence it has.
A list of potential Faction Actions is offered below.
– Attack Another Faction: May attack a faction with not more than 5 influence above them. Both attacker and defender roll 1D6 and add their Might. If attacker wins they take 1 influence or 2 resource (their choice) from the loser.
– Expand Influence: Increasing Influence costs 5 Resource points per point of Influence gained. Only one point of Influence may be gained this way per Faction Turn.
A Factions with a higher Influence can block this action by roll 1D6 + Cunning, if the result is 6 or more, the Influence is not gained but the money is still lost.
– Earn Resources: If unopposed the Faction earns 1 resource point. This can be blocked in the same way as Expanding Influence.
– Purchase Asset: Spend Resources to purchase an asset, each purchase is one action (a list of assets will be provided in a future post).
– Use Asset Ability: Use special ability of an asset.
Next Faction Rules Post >>>